Here at St Thomas More, we all have a statutory duty to “safeguard and promote the welfare of children”. Our policy applies to all staff, governors and volunteers working in the school. It seeks to make clear to all staff their professional responsibilities to ensure that statutory and other duties are met in accordance with the DfE and Sheffield Safeguarding Children Board requirements and procedures
All children have the right to be protected from abuse and as we have a responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, our school will therefore ensure that:
- All those working with, or on behalf of children, must reflect and promote the value of working together with parents, colleagues, other agencies and the children in order to create safe environments and protect children from harm.
- All work with children must be informed by equal opportunities and anti-oppressive practice, and will reflect the diversity of need and the community we serve.
- All children have the right to be treated with respect and dignity as do the adults who work with them
- All volunteers and staff over the age of 16 will undergo appropriate checks prior to beginning work/placement with us
Safeguarding is not just about protecting children from deliberate harm. It also includes issues for our school such as:
- pupil health and safety
- racial abuse
- harassment and discrimination
- use of physical intervention
- meeting the needs of pupils with medical conditions
- providing first aid
- drug and substance misuse
- educational visits
- intimate care
- internet safety
- issues which may be specific to a local area or population, for example gang activity
- school security.
The designated safeguarding lead is Mrs Donna Faley
The designated Deputy safeguarding leads are Mrs Claire Round and Mrs Bridget Reaney.
The headteacher, Mrs Donna Faley, has overall responsibility for safeguarding.
As a school we have signed up to be part of Operation Encompass. Please click on the links below for more information:
Please click here to visit the Sheffield Safeguarding Website.
Click here to view our Safeguarding Policy